Festivals celebrated on Vietnam Lunar New Year
In Vietnam, the Lunar New Year is known as Tết or Tết Nguyên Đán. It is the most important and popular festival for the Vietnamese people during the year. There are a wide range of Festivals celebrated on Vietnam Lunar New Year were held around the country.
The dates of Lunar New Year differs every year but it generally takes place around late January or February. Not only is Tet a celebration of the arrival of spring and an occasion to pay respects to one’s ancestors, it is also a great opportunity for family to come together. Family members will return to their homeland for a reunion and to savor the flavors of the holiday. In this occasion, families often take part in festivals celebrated on Lunar New Year together. What are these festivals?
Festivals celebrated on Vietnam Lunar New Year
In the North of Vietnam
- The Huong Pagoda Festival, one of the largest in Vietnam, officially opened in Hanoi’s My Duc district yesterday (the sixth day of the Lunar New Year).
- On the same day, Co Loa festival in Dong Anh district, Hanoi was held to commemorate King An Duong Vuong who founded the ancient Vietnamese state of Au Lac and chose Co Loa as the capital city.
- As many as 20 artists from Hanoi and Ha Nam province, along with several young painters from the US and Spain joined a competition to decorate buffalos attending the annual Tich Dien (Ploughing) festival which was held in Doi Son commune, Duy Tien district, Ha Nam province on February 22.
- A traditional wrestling festival was held for the occasion in Thu Le village, Sia town, Quang Dien district, Thua Thien – Hue province, drawing the participation of nearly 100 wrestlers as well as attracting a large number of spectators.
- Huong Tich Pagoda Festival, one of the biggest festivals celebrated on Vietnam Lunar New Year, taken place in Thien Loc commune, Can Loc district, Ha Tinh province. The event, which will run until March, features traditional cultural activities and folk games.
- In Hanoi, on the 5th day of Tet, Quang Trung festival is held at Dong Da mound, in Quang Trung ward, Dong Da district.
- Am Duong market is held on 4th January in Vo Cuong ward, Bac Ninh city, Bac Ninh province and Vieng Market is held on 7th January in Kim Thai commune, Vu Ban district and in Nam Giang town, Nam Truc district of Nam Dinh province
- Yen Tu Mountain Spring Festival in Thuong Yen Cong Commune, Uong Bi City, Quang Ninh Province.
- In Dong Hoang commune, Dong Son district, Thanh Hoa province, the Chuong market is held on the 6th of Lunar New Year, people come to buy and sell some agricultural products to get sewing, and young people fight for luck.
In the Central of Vietnam
- Cau Ngu Festival is held for 2 days at the middle of March. People celebrate this festival to worship the gods of the sea to hope there are times when they set sail to be safe and sound, catching many shrimp and fish, and people can live happily and happily.
- Thu Bon Festival, Quang Nam held every year on the 12th day of the second lunar month, is a festival full of folk beliefs of people along the Thu Bon River in Quang Nam province. The festival originates from the legend of Mrs. Thu Bon – a general of the Le Dynasty. People here established temple with gratitude and regarded her as a symbol of beauty, aspiration for peace.
In the South of Vietnam
- Nguyen Hue Flower Street in Ho Chi Minh city, the street is full of flowers from many days before Tet.
- Tet Book Street in Ho Chi Minh City in Ben Nghe Ward, District 1.
- The annual Spring Flower Festival in Tao Dan Park, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Hung Vuong Flower Street has been organized annually in Ward 7 in My Tho city, Tien Giang province.
- Tran Bien Flower Street in Bien Hoa, Bach Dang Flower Street in Binh Duong, 16/4 Flower Road in Ninh Thuan, Phu My Hung Flower Street in Phu My Hung Urban Area, Thanh Ho Chi Minh City.
There are several of festivals celebrated on Vietnam Lunar New Year that we cannot list all. Other traditional festivals such as chess competitions; sailing, wrestling, fighting, lion dance, dragon dance, pigeon release contest … Depending on cultural identity, each locality organizes a festival on Tet holiday which contains various cultural characteristics.
Dear our customers,
Vietnam Lunar New Year (Tet Holiday) is coming, kindly bear in mind to arrange to get your Vietnam visa or extend your visa to avoid using Urgent service.
If you have a plan to travel to Vietnam this month or the next 1 month, this is the best time to start your visa process.
If your visa is going to expired within 1 month or next month, please to arrange a visa extension, otherwise you can have a troublle due to Tet Holiday.
Vietnam Immigration Department is closed during Tet Holiday, as a result, visa requests are not processed during the period except for a rush visa (feel free to contact us at Hotline: +84 968 18 77 18 \ WhatsApp: +84 – 982 879718 if you’re in emergency).
Please keep in mind that visaonlinevietnam.com provides:
▶️ Get visa approval letter within: 1 hour, 2hours, 1 day, 2 days
▶️ Visa letter during Holiday: within 24 hours